A Word from Wayne: Make sure safety is on your holiday menu this year
News From Diverse Power
The kitchen can be a busy place during the holiday season: prepping and preparing favorite recipes. This year, people are spending time in their own homes and kitchens more than ever before.
Whether you are a seasoned cook or novice baker, it’s important to keep electrical safety in mind. In the United States alone, approximately 1,000 deaths occur each year as a result of electrical injuries, according to the National Institutes of Health. An additional nonfatal 30,000 shock incidents occur each year.
The following kitchen hazards may cause electric shock: Damaged or worn electrical cords and equipment and appliances with improper or faulty wiring are just a few kitchen hazards that may cause electric shock.
Below are a few safety tips that may help prevent electric shock in your home:
• Always read and follow an appliance’s operating instructions.
• Always dry your hands before handling cords or plugs.
• If an unplugged appliance cord gets wet or damp, do not plug it in until it is thoroughly dry.
• Do not handle electrical cords or appliances when standing in water.
• Pull on the plug, not the cord, to disconnect an appliance from an outlet.
• To avoid damaging cords, don’t run them across walkways or underneath rugs. Draping them over walkways creates a tripping hazard.
• Regularly inspect electrical cords and plugs for damaged insulation and exposed wiring; immediately discard any damaged item. Avoid using any cord or plug that is frayed, cracked, taped or otherwise questionable.
• Do not overload extension cords, multipack “power strips” or surge protectors with too many appliances or other items or plug them into each other. Use them only as a temporary solution, and not a permanent one.
• Never remove the third (round or U-shaped) prong from a plug, which is a grounding/safety feature designed to reduce the risk of shock and electrocution.